This week is the start of my 4 weeks Emergency Med Rotation at VGH. Below is a list of my own personal and rotation specific objectives:
1) Gain a good understanding of the pathophysiology, presenting symptoms, treatment and monitoring process of the common diseases encoutered in the ED such as COPD, stroke/TIA, gastrointestinal bleeds, acid- base abnormalities, seizures, MI, diabetic ketoacidosis, etc.
2) Become further familiarized with the type of therapies commonly used in the ED. Enhance my knowledge in regards to the appropriate indications, doses, adverse effects and monitoring required for these meds within ED setting.
3) Develop a systematic approach in identifying drug related problems and put forth a recommendation and monitoring plan in order to resolve the problems.
4)Refine and enhance the process in which I work up a patient that presents in an acute setting and is only present there for a short period of time.
5) Gain experience in working with a healthcare team in an acute and somewhat critical setting.
6) Gain experience and an understanding of the role of pharmacist within in a emergency setting.
7) Enhance and refine my systematic process for presenting patient cases.
8) Further gain experience in documenting recommendations in patient records.
Rotation specific objectives:
1. Demonstrate the ability to obtain a complete medication history making use of all
available and appropriate resources including the patient, medical record,
PharmaNet, CareConnect, community pharmacy, family members, caregivers, and
family physician, etc.
2. Demonstrate the ability to evaluate the appropriateness of a patient’s drug therapy
through patient interviews, retrieval of necessary information from the health
record, interpretation of laboratory studies and diagnostic investigations,
discussion with other health care professionals and literature review.
3. Demonstrate proficiency in practicing under the Pharmaceutical Care model,
including the ability to:
Identify and state actual and potential drug-related problems
Describe desired therapeutic outcomes (goals of therapy)
Describe feasible therapeutic alternatives
Choose and justify patient-specific therapy recommendations
Design and implement a monitoring plan for efficacy and toxicity
Provide appropriate follow-up
4. Demonstrate the ability to concisely document patient-related concerns, progress,
and recommendations in the health record.
5. Demonstrate the ability to respond to drug information requests from health care
professionals in the ED in a timely manner.
6. Demonstrate competency in managing the common disease states and
procedures in the ED.